Saturday 28 April 2012

Light flare or Sun Strike??

This week we were challenged (or inspired by Belinda's great examples) to experiment with Lens Flare.  This is a technique where you put your subject in front of the sun with the aim of getting a nice glow around them.  It looks really great and sounds quite simple but it is actually really tricky, and made even more tricky by the efforts of my children...

I positioned my eldest in front of the sun and got ready to take the photo when she moved.  This resulted in me getting a fright when the sun hit my eyes, followed by a minute of stumbling around temporarily blinded which of course my girls thought was hilarious!  After two more attempts with similar results (this time on purpose) I decided that my experiments with Lens Flare would have to be limited to the one photo!

The other thing I was reminded of this week is how the camera can sometimes capture things that we fail to see and it is like an extra surprise when you get home and go through your photo's for the day.   They are usually few and far between but I was lucky enough to have two examples of this in the past week...

The first was on Saturday when we went out to Kaukapakapa to take photo's of the waterfall out there.  On the way back we stopped to look at the amazing sculptures on Alan Gibbs farm.  The farm is not open to the public so you have to admire these awe inspiring sculptures from a distance (which luckily isn't hard for some of them as they are huge!)  We decided to pull over to take a photo and got the surprise of my life when I got home and pulled the photo up on my screen and saw that not only did I have a picture of the sculpture on top of the hill but bang in the middle and at the bottom was a giraffe! 

The second was on Sunday when I decided to have my first ever play with time lapse photography by taking still shots of the sunset every ten seconds or so (I say or so because I don't have a timer so this was a manual process!)  My favourite sunset place is out at Bayview so I went out there and I was so caught up in the sunset and the watching the birds fishing that I didn't notice that the tide had completely come in and around the tripod until I watched it back at home that night.

27 April - the reason why I didn't get a good photo that day (12 hours painting this room!)


26 April - Stormy Night


25 April - Family Time


24 April - Lens Flare


23 April - Letters


22 April - Sunset at Bayview



21 April - Surprise View

No comments:

Post a Comment